Monday, April 18, 2011

Slooooooow Dooooooown: Eastern Conference

Before everyone starts going crazy about this weekend’s games in the NBA playoffs, let’s identify a couple of golden rules:
  • One Game does not a winner make
  • Playoff seeding does matter at the pro level 
  • It is always easier to win game 1 in the NBA playoffs on the road
With those rules being understood let me briefly identify who is fine and who has some explaining to do.

Bulls/Pacers- I won’t lie…did not see the Bulls looking so bad defensively in the opener with Indy. I didn’t see the Pacers starters having good games across the board and I definitely didn’t the Bulls having to come from behind to pull out a game 1 opener at home. However I do expect Boozer to do better than 12 pts and 6 boards and even if it is a repeat performance, I expect the soon to be named NBA MVP to put his team on his back and refuse to lose. BULLS: YOU ARE FINE!

Heat/76ers- I stated before the playoffs started, if you make Miami a half court team both on defense and offense, you have a chance to beat them. Philly did that and almost pulled off a come from behind victory. What I didn’t expect to see was D Wade be the closer and have the ball in his hands in crunch time to make a play for the Heat. If that continues to happen and D Wade’s number is called late in games instead of Lebron…WATCH OUT! HEAT: YOU ARE FINE…FOR NOW!
 
Celtics/Knicks- Why would you stop going to Amare when clearly he was the best player on the floor? The Celtics clearly not playing at the same level as recent years, but they are a veteran laden crafty bunch that knows how to win; Doesn’t hurt that they are playing a team that gives you solid defense on occasion and is lead by a coach who gets outcoached at every critical point, in every game of his entire playoff career. I think the Knicks can push the Celtics in each game, but it’s going to be hard for them to when one if they are going to fold like that late in games. They kind of remind me of those old Portland Trailblazers lead by Rasheed Wallace…a lot of talent…NO BASKETBALL IQ. CELTCIS: YOU ARE FINE!
 
Magic/Hawks: I won’t lie. The Hawks, in my opinion, are all fluff and no substance. But if they are going to let Dwight run rampant and shut down everyone else…they will have more of a shot to beat the Magic than I thought. If the Magic are not able to hit shots from the outside, and Joe Johnson and Josh Smith play to their potential, I could see a scenario where the Magic get swept…but those are huge IF’s. I do expect the Magic to make the necessary adjustments and I do expect them to still beat the Hawks…who are liable to disappear at some point anyway…until then MAGIC: YOU HAVE SOME EXPLAINING TO DO!
  
Whatever happens, it should be fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment