Monday, January 17, 2011

Media Monday: The Game 2nd Quarter

Okay...maybe I was being a little too critical. I mean it's not like it was the season premiere of Martin; or the second coming of the Cosby Show or A Different World; it was The Game...on BET. Despite all of that, I, much like the rest of the black community, greatly anticipated the return of this show and was truly hoping it came out of the blocks strong. I even recall watching a few of the often aired "Game Marathons" just so I could make sure I had my story lines together; and like most I had questions and thoughts about what would happen next. However, what I saw on opening night was a team, I mean, cast that looked like they were pressing; story lines that looked forced and unimaginative; players, I mean, actors and actresses that looked completely out of position. My thoughts are as follows:

The Davis'- We all know Derwin is a smack. Always has been always will be. His character did not change...and the fact that he is the star now isn't a surprise; but Mel, what the heck? I thought her hold point of moving with Derwin was because she was in love and still wanted to and was actively pursuing medical school, I.e. The nickname "Med School" I mean maybe if there was an indication that she wanted to just be "Real Housewife" I may have bought into Tasha
Mack's assessment of Melanie in the hour special. And the cotton swab thing...really?
Look I will give you the brief promiscuous stage she went through after her and Derwin broke
up, but this current "Desperate Insecure Housewife" thing has got to change.

The Pitts'- Jason's character is dead on. Jilted former athlete, phased out because of age,
tried to salvage career with steroids, now a bitter NFL analyst...I get it...believable.  Kelly Pitts: am I really supposed to buy this Kate Gosselin reality star mold? So her daughter, who she tried to protect during the divorce, now plays second fiddle to her rage and determination to make a name for herself with her ex- husbands money...again, not believable. In two years this supportive mother, working full time, has now turned into a media horror? Not the route I would have taken.

Tasha and Malik- You know Tasha Mack is fine enough and driven enough to make the "cougar" thing work...for a little while; and I can even go for her catching feelings for a younger dude (even if it is a lame Terrance J) because she has always been sensitive beneath the tough exterior. I just hope Tasha "getting her groove back" doesn't go the entire season. Now Malik on the other hand...is a different case. We all know Malik loves having sex. We all know he is a sensitive, arrogant, egotistical teenager trapped in an adult’s body. Now with all that being said, I never would have called Malik a spiteful and vengeful individual. There may have been some when they realized the girl he was banging in the bathroom was the owner's girl, was typical Malik; but I wouldn't have thought he would go there. This was not the demeanor of a guy who was head over heels for Robin Givens or when having the opportunity to sleep with his teammate’s ex-girlfriend, he turned her advance down and told her to get out of his room. And his treatment of Te-Te; I mean Te-Te has always done Malik's bidding, but sleeping with his girl...too much for simply two years later.

Looking back on a week ago...my instant reaction of The Game was too critical. I lost by overriding my common sense and buying into the hype machine of BET. While I still think the Game has some work to do, all is not lost. While I was truly disappointed with the first quarter play...I will be rooting for a strong second quarter and a strong rest of the season.

1 comment:

  1. Aw snap, this is gonna be interesting. I did watch the one episode of the Game that I had DVr'd, as a former fan from when it was on the WB or whatever, I think its way different than what it used to be....not sure how I feel about it yet.

    ReplyDelete