Tuesday, January 25, 2011

You? Fancy? Huh?

There is an old adage that speaks to a certain “fine line” between confidence and arrogance; between having swagger and just being pretentious. I will admit, depending on the environment, you may even have to give credence to the idea that these lines of ambiguity have to exist in order to maintain a certain level of success. However, in light of all of that, bearing in mind that most of us deal in the realm of normal, stable, activity, people need to understand the vast difference between both sides of the proverbial “fine line.”

When I first heard Drake’s “Fancy” I thought the song jammed. However, I knew that there was a possibility that it could start a wildfire within the female population. While I do not want to begin to give the impression that this blog is about women, this song illustrates the bottom line of my rant. Just because your hair, nails, and everything else designed to make you look good is in place…doesn’t make you fancy; it may make you presentable; it may even hide certain flaws that you currently possess; but by no means does it make you “fancy”. It also should not give you this superfluous confidence that makes you proclaim to the world that you are “fancy”. If you are “fancy” believe me, we noticed. In fact, the reasons we KNOW you AREN’T “fancy” is because you have to open your mouth to let us know that you think that you are.

Not making sense yet? How about this? Just because you walk around with your Prada, Gucci, Channel, etc, doesn’t mean that you have entered into an elite world of socio-economic dominance. Or because you flaunt how much “money” you are supposed to have (shout out Real Housewives of Atlanta), doesn’t mean that you are really rolling in dough. NEWS FLASH: FILTHY RICH PEOPLE DON’T FLAUNT THAT THEY ARE RICH…THEY JUST ARE! Real rich people don’t have to talk about being rich; they don’t act snobbish and untouchable; they live their life like everyone else…they just live it on a different level (and just as an fyi…being on a different level doesn’t necessarily make it easier or makes the person happier).
One last one…just in case my point is still lost in translation. If you love the Lord, that’s good. If you do everything that you can to live by the principles set forth in your religious beliefs, I believe it communicates your commitment to it. But when every time I speak to you, or heaven forbid, ask you how things are and your first response is “Blessed and Highly Favored in the Lord…who is the Head of my Life, who said in HIS word that he would never leave me or forsake me, who oh I could just shout thinking about his goodness”…it’s going to make me not ever want to talk to you again. Beyond your words I should see the reflection of your beliefs in the life you live everyday; and here’s a secret…It should be real and tangible enough for me to notice a difference in you without you ever having to broadcast why the difference is there.

Overall, I guess what I am trying to say is stop telling us what you are, what you do and what drives you at every turn. When you have to scream it from the rooftop, especially when your comments are unsolicited, unwarranted, and completely out of place, all is does is seem like you are trying to convince me of this image your are trying to portray and more importantly, it sounds like you are trying to convince yourself.

1 comment: